The Depew Fire Department Fire Prevention Program is a free service that is offered to many organizations, groups and schools within the Village of Depew. The program funded solely on donations from the public and operates year round. Some of the events that we provide throughout the year in the Village of Depew include our annual Fire Prevention Open House, which is held in the second week of October during national fire prevention week. Our program also provides learning materials for children so they can be educated in fire safety. If you are interested in having the Depew Fire Department help educate your group or class feel free to call 716-681-1290 or email at Jamie Nusall.
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini light sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of LED strands to connect. -Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged. -Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers. Wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
- Ask smokers to smoke outside. Remind smokers to keep their smoking materials with them so young children do not touch them.
Smoke Detector Program
The Depew Fire Department offers free smoke detectors and installation to residents of the Village of Depew. Requirements of this program are elderly or low income residents. Please call 716-681-1290 for more information on this program.